Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Professional hazards

The only interesting event of the 11-month NBA season happened last night: the draft. Long-time readers will notice that I've drawn parallels between the transition in my life -- from silent student to blogging lawyer -- and the rise of a pro basketball prospect. (I did that here, here, and maybe here.)

So, the draft. Did your favorite team make a wise investment or choose a professional hazard? This link provides a list of the draft selections. It was nice to see a return to tradition for college players in the lottery, even if most were underclassmen. Especially hilarious was the new-hole-tearing commentary of Jay Bilas and Stephen A. Smith when the Magic and the Clippers reverted to old habits and selected obscure international players back to back. Also interesting was the collective realization that maybe waiting until the second round to draft a recognizable name isn't such a great idea. Other issues aside, future drafts with the age limit of 19 will look even more familiar to the college basketball fan.

It's a nice story that the Charlotte Bobcats drafted a pair of Tar Heels -- people are even more pro-UNC in Charlotte than in Chapel Hill -- but honestly, what's the point of drafting Sean May when you already have Emeka Okafor? Selling more tickets is nice, but you can't sell playoff seats if you don't make the playoffs. They should have picked a swingman or a true center.

Speaking of centers, the Milwaukee Bucks were right to select Andrew Bogut over Marvin Williams. Even if they're equally talented, Bogut's size makes him a rarity. There are dozens of players who can do what Marvin Williams can, and a few of them already play for the Atlanta Hawks. There was no law stating that Atlanta had to use that pick; they should have beaten Portland to the punch and traded picks with Utah.

And it appears as though Mike Dunleavy Sr. is trying to build his own little collection of Blue Devils over in the Los Angeles Clippers franchise. That's one Duke parent gone overboard.

As for me, I still don't have an NBA team or player to follow, and haven't since Tim Hardaway retired. Though I do find myself thinking about Tony Parker's lady friend a lot...

In other news, it appears that someone was listening to my plea to talk college hoops again. CBS Sportsline has an early top 25 now that the draft is over.

4 comments:

Neel Mehta said...

Does your husband know that you're up past 1 a.m. on a school night and having thoughts about Emeka Okafor?

(I couldn't find one of him reading Middlemarch, so this will have to do.)

Neel Mehta said...

You two have lists? Are they laminated?

I can't imagine you've limited yourself to 5 men, seeing as how I can think of 4 right off the bat: Emeka Okafor, Shane Battier, Sting, Jon Stewart. (I'd venture a guess that Grant Hill is your 5th, but maybe you felt you'd met your basketball quota and instead picked some hottie in academia.)

M's is trickier. There'd be Natalie Merchant and Catherine Zeta Jones, no doubt, but I'm at a loss with the other 3.

See, by staying single my list can be nice and long, because I know I'm not coming home to anybody.

K-Lyn said...

I like that C and I have the same #1 on our "if I woke up tomorrow and was gay" laminated list...

Neel Mehta said...

What if everyone woke up tomorrow and was gay? There's a movie premise.

Okay, I'll bite, K. Who do you and C both have atop your laminated lists?

Will Truman: "I always thought that if I had sex with a woman it would be Hilary Swank... or Tobey Maguire."