Thursday, June 09, 2005

I can see clearly. Now.

Just because we skipped the Victoria's Secret show doesn't mean we can't have fun. So I took my parents to a LASIK seminar yesterday. We got a chance to observe an eye surgery (flap, map, zap, tap, wrap, nap) and ask the doctor and his staff questions.

Full disclosure: I underwent the surgery in Cincinnati back in 2002. The place I used was more of a chop shop in that the staff divides the patients into groups of five, then works through them one by one. No complaints, though: I see 20/15 in each eye and 20/13 together. If I concentrate real hard, I can see the future.

With great power comes great responsibility, so I felt the need to ask some real questions -- about halo effects at night, touchup procedures, the enhanced dry eye problem here, and what to watch out for in a bargain basement competitor. By comparison, the other attendees didn't seem all that curious.

With one exception. A few of them had mentioned something they saw on, ahem, 20/20 about comedienne and self-proclaimed D-lister Kathy Griffin. Apparently she had complications from her LASIK experience and has required multiple surgeries on one eye. That's unfortunate, of course, but that doesn't stop her from incorporating her derision of her surgeon (previously a friend) into her act. That lady's all class.

No comments: