Saturday, May 14, 2005

The seven-year switch

My deep, dark secret is no more: I have been without health insurance for about 7 years. Fortunately, it's been the healthiest 7 years of my life. One bout of strep throat, a couple of flu-like occasions, and laser eye surgery. That's about it.

Now that I've passed the bar and am trying to become a productive citizen, I know my lucky streak can't last. It is time to switch from an uninsured life (which is worth living, but costly if you get sick) to join the ranks of the insured. I'll probably get an inexpensive PPO plan (Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield) with a high deductible, so that the protection kicks in should a real emergency occur.

I assumed that I would just join the group policy of my employer once I got a job, but now I'm wondering if that's such a good idea. It's entirely possible that the group plan may not cover as much, and I lose a bit of control in the event that I might switch jobs. Also, this may be irrelevant, but does a job candidate become more attractive if the employer doesn't have to insure him? Do any readers out there have an opinion or advice to offer?

It's a weekend, which is excuse enough for a quote:

FRASIER: I hate lawyers.

NILES: Oh, me too, but they make wonderful patients. They have excellent health insurance, and they never get better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most employers use a group insurance with a 100% participation clause. They must cover their whole work force at least at a basic level. This keeps their claims experience in check (as they aren't only covering their unhealthy workers, etc). So you wouldn't gain anything as a job candidate.

As for switching jobs you are covered under HIPAA regulations as far as any pre-existing conditions go so you don't loose that much control unless you are attached to your HMO and your new employer doesn't offer coverage through them.

Neel Mehta said...

K: thank you.

C: You do realize the only profanity on my blog comes from you, right? Feel free, but I'm trying to keep it clean at my end. I only swear in front of my parents.

Neel Mehta said...

I don't know that story. Do tell.

Anonymous said...

I want to hear the story about swearing in from of EJ's mom too

and, in a show of fellowship with Courtney,

listen to that girl. she knows her shit. get insured, it's the shizzle

Neel Mehta said...

P: consider me, um, shizzled. At least I will be June 1.