Sunday, May 15, 2005

Hotel Babylon

I've completed Hotel Babylon. It chronicles 24 hours in the life of an unnamed receptionist at a London 5-star hotel. It's not as scandalous as I thought it would be -- it was no surprise that "hospitality" is a polite word for price gouging -- but was still compulsively readable. I did find the micromanagement and science behind the practice of overbooking to be bewildering.

It helped that the anonymous co-author gave several examples to illustrate how crazy guests can get in a strange place they (temporarily) call home. More importantly, it's telling how their craziness is quite predictable and categorizable. I don't think there's anything original or outrageous left for a hotel guest to do.

A bit of advice: it wasn't in the book, but I understand that when a hotel maid cleans the bathroom, only one rag is used, and those glasses by the sink are the last things that get wiped down.

Next at bat: 3 Nights in August, by H.G. "Buzz" Bissinger.

3 comments:

Neel Mehta said...

When you get a chance, do tell. I'm sure Vegas guests raise the stakes when it comes to stupidity.

Asian Provocateur said...

I read this too. Nice read. got any suggestions for new beach material?

Neel Mehta said...

If you like nonfiction, we'll get along just fine.

I'm actually not that voracious of a reader, but I go through phases and this is one of those literate times. Aside from Hotel Babylon, here's what I've read in recent months:

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
America by Jon Stewart et al
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell
Candyfreak by Steve Almond
Dick: The Man Who is President by John Nichols
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
The Dick Cheney Code by Henry Beard
Wigfield by Amy Sedaris et al

And what I have in a book equivalent of a Netflix queue:

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
Take the Cannoli by Sarah Vowell
Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I have no idea if any of the above are suitable for beach reading. With few exceptions, I don't read to escape.