Friday, April 22, 2005

Things to do

As always, this is not a comprehensive list. (To do that I'd have to include things like "tell Nicky Hilton her petticoat is showing whenever we dance at Ra.")

1. Update the resume. It feels good to have a licensure section. Feels really good to take out "Nevada Bar candidate" or whatever I wrote a couple of years back.

2. Re-befriend all those people who passed the bar exam before me. They tend to have, you know, jobs and stuff. And here I am, for nearly two years, with no concept of the city's legal landscape. Names of firms are like a different language.

3. Look into volunteering. Outside of the family, for whom I've worked pro bono for years too numerous to count, I'm not much for sharing my knowledge and services. Find a cause, or at least something that I can pretend matters to me. Educating our children? No.

4. Embrace the unfamiliar. Actually, I've been doing some of this. I'm getting over my fear of real-life economic issues -- I took classes at H&R Block and Century 21 -- and am slowly becoming knowledgeable about those things that only old people usually know about. Still a little sketchy on the concept of equity, though.

5. Use this blog as a vehicle for good, not evil. I considered steering its purpose into the realm of solicited advice, but then I realized I don't care about the general public enough to help them out. So, for starters, I'll introduce 55 Fiction Friday, which for me will be a shameless opportunity to rehash old content in a new venue, but to you will seem as creative as it is alliterative. Here goes:

We decided to adopt.

Paperwork, interviews, more paperwork, background checks, Romania trip, more paperwork. It was all worth it when Frederica came into our lives. Our first family photo centered around her beaming face, surrounded by two new parents and their inexperience, their workaholic lives, their cramped apartment, their convertible coupe…

We decided to adapt.

No comments: