(What's great about that pun is that it's so timely.)
It's time to reveal the All-Mehta preseason standings in men's college basketball. I have no delusions here: my take on the sport will never be as revered as "All-Madden" in the NFL, but at the same time, I promise not to pitch antifungal foot cream.
At the end of last season I predicted the 2009 Final Four: Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan State, and UCLA. Since then, Texas lost D.J. Augustin to the NBA, and UCLA had an overhaul, but I'll stick with both for now.
East Regional (Boston)
01. North Carolina: Best? Can't tell. Most stacked? Definitely.
08. Pittsburgh: A team like this would give the Heels fits.
09. Gonzaga: Got a 2 seed 5 years ago. This squad's better.
16. Texas: FYI... A.J. to replace D.J. at PG.
South Regional (Memphis)
02. Louisville: Veterans + frosh + Pitino = early Big East fave.
07. Michigan State: Would love a Final Four close to home.
10. Duke: Maybe not quite exactly close to Top 5 material. Yet.
15. Arizona State: More poise to make Pac-10 noise than USC.
West Regional (Glendale, AZ)
03. UCLA: Most theoretical of the top seeds right now.
06. Connecticut: Not convinced they're the Beast of the Big East.
11. Oklahoma: In Big 12 South, basketball looks like football.
14. Tennessee: Best of a depleted and downward SEC.
Midwest Regional (Indianapolis)
04. Purdue: Returning stars give them the in-state edge.
05. Notre Dame: Positioned to make this their year. Watch.
12. Memphis: Comparatively loaded, easy-ish schedule.
13. Davidson: Strong belief that last year was no fluke.
Also considered: Wake Forest, USC, Xavier, Wisconsin.