After a weekend where only Ohio State, Florida, and Memphis managed to win without a struggle, the parity of college basketball is readily apparent. Anyone filling out their brackets this week can't feel all that confident about their choices.
I was too busy today to formulate my own final seedings in a timely fashion, but I have much to say about the slipshod job done in the official brackets. Generally, the ACC was vastly overrated -- Maryland and Virginia don't deserve 4 seeds, and Duke should be lower than a 6 -- and the Mountain West got jobbed. UNLV a 7? BYU an 8? Air Force out? I'm not a bubble expert, so someone explain to me why iffy teams like Purdue and Arkansas are in.
Also, Ohio State's favorable and well-earned Midwest Regional draw inexplicably went to Florida. Say what you will about the Big Ten this year, but it's still better than the SEC.
One thing the Selection Committee did right: my year-in-advance Final Four picks are all in different regions. Will I stick with Ohio State, UCLA, North Carolina, and 10-seed Georgia Tech? I have a few days to think about that.
The top 4 seeds of each regional in the official bracket, with my comments.
Midwest (St. Louis) Regional
01. Florida: What have they done lately against real teams?
08. Wisconsin: They need to find a scoring flow, and soon.
09. Oregon: A little high, but a favorable draw.
16. Maryland: A 6 seed at best. This is ridiculous.
East (Rutherford) Regional
02. North Carolina: Twice as many losses as Ohio State.
07. Georgetown: A trendy (and sensible) Final Four pick.
10. Washington State: You'll learn their names soon.
15. Texas: A trendy (and sensible) Elite Eight pick.
South (San Antonio) Regional
03. Ohio State: One year later, still my pick to win it all.
06. Memphis: Really deserve to be in a better conference.
11. Texas A&M: May face Louisville in Lexington.
14. Virginia: Committee's trying to justify ACC hype.
West (San Jose) Regional
04. Kansas: Deserve the 1, but still a little mysterious.
05. UCLA: So they wear blue jerseys when they cut the nets.
12. Pittsburgh: Good for them, but Louisville's a 6?
13. Southern Illinois: A fair 4, but should have been in St. Louis.