Monday, October 09, 2006

Imperfection

And now, a not so great moment in prognostication.

My baseball playoff predictions were as bad as can possibly be. September momentum meant nothing in the Division Series, and I went 0-for-4. This is embarrassing, like A-Rod in the postseason embarrassing. I couldn't be happier, though.

See, it's a glorious day when the Yankees get eliminated. With all
those pitchers for hire, and a batting lineup for the ages, they couldn't even get past the glad-to-be-here Detroit Tigers. And I love it. Ooh, the championship drought now stands at 6 seasons. Cry me a Hudson.

What happened was in the best interests of baseball, and it's time everyone realized it. I know there are other high payroll teams, but the Yankees symbolize that which is most wrong with sports and their fans: a sense of entitlement.* It's wrong to spend the offseason following rumors about what mercenary they plan to buy. It's wrong to brag about 27 titles like it's a personal achievement. And the pinstripes are not slimming.

Even if you don't follow baseball, take some time to watch the Athletics-Tigers matchup. The networks and advertisers need to know that the rest of America doesn't give a damn that some overrated big market team is gone. By the most liberal measure, only one out of 10 people in this country live in NYC or LA. It's time the other 9 told them where they can shove their elitism.

*Yes, I realize that many Duke basketball fans also feel a sense of entitlement, and I fully intend to slap them around as well.

2 comments:

pilgrimchick said...

I'll agree on Yankee elitism, although it has nothing to do with the fact that I am a New Englander. The whole money issue has really made the sport much less interesting to watch in at least the last twenty years--you always know who is going to make it to the finals, who won't, etc. based on a measure of financial support. Hopefully, there is some way of changing that.

K-Lyn said...

"And the pinstripes are not slimming"

I love you, man!

And the A's are down the first game of the season...Woot!