Thursday, May 12, 2005

The west side Connector

It sounds like a new form of public transportation, but I'm actually talking about my on-and-off bid to become a Connector, the kind of person who knows everybody. This personality type is described much better and at length in The Tipping Point, the heavily-
referenced book by
Malcolm Gladwell.

People who know me would recognize my inherent difficulty in achieving this status. As I mentioned in a discussion with long-time reader Kristy yesterday, what I do (socially) is the opposite of stalking: I tend to fall off the face of the Earth, only to mildly resurface at the most random times, then disappear again. If absence makes the heart grow fonder, a lot of you must love me.

Finding people and forging connections isn't my problem; it's my maintenance skills that need work. I've discovered that, over the years, I've come to know a lot of people, of various walks of life, locations, and income/influence levels. And as a new lawyer in Las Vegas, I'm well-positioned to stay in touch with these people, and even see them every so often. If my attempts at developing a career and love life don't get in the way.

So I'm declaring my intentions, and hope to follow through in my Connector bid. I have ulterior motives, natch. I'm hoping all of this will help me realize my ultimate goal: I want to be Kevin Bacon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you have a Friendster profile? Might help you track your connections. Highly recommended.

Neel Mehta said...

APL: Your Connector should meet my Connector, if they haven't already. He's a dermatologist in D.C.

K: Heard of Friendster, don't know much about it. I was going for more of a low-tech approach, but if it helps, I'll look into it. Hope the trip was smooth.

Anonymous said...

I was going to mention that you do not need to be a connector cuz you have V.



so instead I will say, you do not need to be a connector, you just need to know about 5 of them and wham, you're going to brunch with Kevin and Kyra.

same principle as "use other people's money." less effort, more payout.