Sunday, May 01, 2005

May Day

Not just a call for help or a Bond villainess. According to Wikipedia, there's a lot of political history behind this day, and a surprising rift between the United States and the rest of the world when it comes to recognizing worker rights. And here I thought it started with Bush the younger.

A Google search of "May observances" will tell you that we've begun Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, as proclaimed by Bush the elder in 1990. Being an APA myself, though never calling myself that, I feel a lot more... recognizable. Anyway, it's also:

Mental Health Awareness Month
Better Sleep Month
Correct Posture Month
Older Americans Month
Tennis Month (apparently the USTA has an agenda)

It's also Get Caught Reading Month and National Book Month, contrary to the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince release date. No real comment here, but an opportunity to slip in my Duke ties with a picture.



By the way, tomorrow is Melanoma Monday. It's like a Bangles B-side or something.

2 comments:

Neel Mehta said...

Nice baby picture.

Thanks for not holding my alma mater against me, and thanks for reading. I am a Duke basketball fan, but not a deluded one. It may have something to do with spending a lot of time in Lexington, Kentucky, and now living in Las Vegas. I know better than to decorate my car bumper with an alumni sticker.

Neel Mehta said...

Actually, I came close. Cut, paste, and go to

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/
news/grizzlies_read_achieve_021028.html

Click on "View photos from event." The second photo is a good start.