Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Pic-Tac-Toe (13th edition)

New year, same puzzle. As always, I've arranged 9 images into a 3x3 grid so that each row, column, and diagonal can be connected by a theme. There are 8 themes total.

(Click the image to enlarge. Guess in the comments.)

While not my best effort, this puzzle emphasizes my reliance on text, and how I'll probably never be able to do a wordless edition.

SOLVED! K-Lyn was the first to act, solving 5 themes. Then Bill closed up shop with the last 3. But feel free to do a little solving yourself before checking the answers.

7 comments:

K-Lyn said...

Top: ??
Middle: POSITIVE(Magnificent, Incredible, Greatest)
Bottom: DOTS (or periods)

Left: SEVEN
Middle: COLOURS (Green, Violet, Blue)
Right: BOOKS

Back: REPEATING NAMES
Slash: ???

Neel Mehta said...

Close on the bottom row with DOTS, but that's not quite the answer I want.

Your other 5 themes are correct.

Anonymous said...

Top: CHIPMUNKS (Simon Le Bon, Theodore "Blue" Edwards, Alvin Toffler) - Nice theme!

Slash: TECHNOLOGY (Future Shock, Computer Animation, iTunes 7)

Bottom: TWO LETTER INITIALS (U.S., A.G., T.C.)

pilgrimchick said...

I wish I were better at figuring out these things myself, but I do enjoy reading other people's guesses. I suppose that is my consolation prize for inadequecy.

Neel Mehta said...

Bill: Thanks! And you got the rows. Good guess on the slash diagonal, but I'm going for something much simpler.

Anonymous said...

The letter i in lowercase?

Neel Mehta said...

That would be it, yes.

The themes...

Top Row: CHIPMUNKS (Simon Le Bon, Theodore "Blue" Edwards, Alvin Toffler)

Middle Row: SUPERLATIVE TITLES (The Magnificent Seven, The Incredibles, The Greatest Generation)

Bottom Row: TWO LETTER INITIALS (U.S., A.C., T.C.)

Left Column: SEVEN (Seven and the Ragged Tiger, The Magnificent Seven, iTunes 7)

Middle Column: COLORFUL NAMES (Blue Edwards, Violet Parr, A.C. Green)

Right Column: BOOK COVERS (Future Shock, The Greatest Generation, Talk Talk)

159 Backslash Diagonal: DOUBLE NAMES (Duran Duran, Jack-Jack Parr, Talk Talk)

357 Slash Diagonal: LOWER CASE i (Alvin, on the Incredibles uniform, iTunes)