I know Rolling Stone has formulated several all-time lists, so many that you could rank them in order of worthlessness. But have they (or anyone else reputable) ever compiled a definitive list of the greatest rock bands of all time? Like, a real list, with no cheating: sneaking in solo artists, including genres outside of rock, etc.
Because I have a few questions:
1. Who's number 1?
2. Who's number 3?
3. Does U2 make the top 5?
4. How many American bands make the top 10?
5. Which woman will appear on the list first: a musician like Tina Weymouth, or a frontwoman like Grace Slick?
6. Will backup bands like the E Street Band and Crazy Horse get respect?
7. Aside from the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Bob Marley and the Wailers, and maybe Prince and the Revolution, does the list look entirely white?
8. If the bands are graded, does Guns 'n Roses get an incomplete?
9. What's a good length for this kind of list: 10? 100? 1,000?
10. How inflated would Nirvana's ranking be this time?
My more musically-inclined readers (and the rest of us) are free to speculate and share their own preferences here.