Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Volunteer work

As I predicted one year ago, Candace Parker and Nicky Anosike (still love that name!) led the Lady Volunteers of Tennessee to a national championship tonight. Congratulations are in order. I'm not a big Pat Summitt fan, but I appreciate the fact that she toned down the whining and mind games this year, allowing her team to focus while the limelight was on the ACC.

Speaking of, expect a seismic shift in conference power now that the architect of Duke's rise, Gail Goestenkors, left for Texas. I'm a little sad for my alma mater, but can't help but feel this was the right move at the right time for her.

I realize I said the opposite yesterday about a parallel situation with Billy Donovan and Kentucky, but here's the difference: I think the Longhorns basketball program has the brighter future. (And maybe Rick Barnes is more willing to share the attention than Coach K. But then, Barnes might be lured to Kentucky.)

When the UNC men lost to Georgetown, there was no team left to accomplish the double dip. Or was there? My other alma mater, Washington University, put its men's and women's basketball teams in the Final Fours of their respective Division III championships. So that's something.

The 2008 Final Four will be staged in Tampa. My ridiculously early prediction? Rutgers, Oklahoma, Connecticut, and Stanford. Frizzy-haired coach Sherri Coale will get a much-needed Pantene endorsement as the Sooners win it all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm here and I didn't even know that...are highschools get more attention than Wash U sports...than again our highschools could probably beat wash u sports:)