Monday, August 21, 2006

Pure escapism

Life matters again as Prison Break begins its second season tonight. The bad news is that I'll have to record it. The good news is that I should be attending an advanced screening of Idlewild.

Speaking of escapism, what happened to Snakes on a Plane? I don't think I've ever been so far off in estimating a movie's popularity. I thought it would clear $40 million this weekend, easily. It made around $15 million.

Snakes on a plane! Screw the box office -- the title's still awesome.

Even if you add in the $10 million for Accepted -- I assume that many people bought tickets for that PG-13 movie, then slithered into a Snakes screening room -- that's still only $25 million. This may be the first time I've ever been disappointed that American viewers didn't go see something so craptacular.

Snakes on a plane! Go see it next weekend, or I'm calling for a draft.

Finally, a little Kal Penn news: he's joining the cast of 24. The bad news is that he may be playing a terrorist. The good news is that, on 24, assumptions are often wrong. But then, we already saw the suspected terrorist who turns out to be a good guy in Season 2. More on 24 and the Emmy Awards later this week.

Snape's on a plane! Thanks, APL.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Snakes on a Plane was pretty good fun, actually. Shame more people didn't see it.