Thursday, September 08, 2005

Google desktop

I may be a little late to this party, but allow me a moment to extol the virtues of the two-week-old Google Desktop. It's a sidebar that details your latest e-mail, news, photos, files, weather, personal notes, and most importantly, web clips. This final feature alerts you to any new entries on any web pages you might visit, such as those of your fellow bloggers. It's in Beta version, and while I've already noticed that the web clips frequently go in and out of chronological order, I appreciate the fact that I don't have to sign up for some blog listing service.

Best of all, like Gmail, this feature constantly updates itself without need of refreshment. I've already made the sidebar an essential component of my widescreen laptop experience.

No comments: