Monday, July 04, 2005

Statuesque

I don't know if any of these statues are particularly patriotic, but I thought I would make a photographic entry of the ones I saw in the Bay Area this week.


This splendid lady stands atop the center plaza of Union Square, no doubt warding off the temptations of the Macy's and Cheesecake Factory she faces daily.


Vista Point, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge, features this serviceman. He has returned safely from his tour at war, and now faces rising rental costs and potential roommates of a "don't ask, don't tell" nature.


Ah, to be an elephant in Sausalito. You are perhaps the only form of transportation that won't be so easily ticketed. (More on Sausalito tomorrow.)


This gentleman stands at the base of Coit Tower. Nice superhero stance, Coit-Man.


One hour north, in Sonoma County, rests Santa Rosa: home of the late Charles Schulz. There's a Peanuts museum here somewhere, and these varied enormous 3-D Charlie Brown likenesses.


They start them young at Pebble Beach, don't they?


I never walked across the street to read the nameplate, but I assume this statue was made in recognition of the late, fine character actor Denholm Elliott, marking that triumphant moment at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when Marcus Brody says, "
Indy, Henry, follow me. I know the way. Ha!"


Okay, not really a statue. But an adequate depiction of the anguish in driving and parking in San Francisco. Rev up the SUV! Bring on the fuel! God bless America!

5 comments:

maisnon said...

Whoah, whoah, whoah - does that statue of Charlie Brown have hair??

I am not ready for that jelly.

Neel Mehta said...

Huh. I never thought to photograph the other side of that statue, so I have no idea if conductor Charlie Brown is bootylicious.

Anyway, relax. Most of the statues I saw had Charlie Brown as bald. Think of this one as a wig that came with the hat.

The Attractive Nuisance said...

You know what Coit Tower is supposed to look like, yes?

Neel Mehta said...

Coitus uninterruptus, maybe? St. Francis would be so proud.

marketing online valencia said...

Wow, there's so much worthwhile information here!